If you’ve been charged with a DUI before, the traumatizing experience can make you think twice about sitting behind the wheel after drinking again. However, for those who have yet to go through this overwhelming ordeal, they may feel compelled to take the risk until it’s too late. The best way to avoid a DUI is to not do anything to get yourself in that situation in the first place.
But if you do happen to go out for a night of drinking or attend a party that involves social drinking, the following are ways to avoid a DUI:
- Obtain a designated driver or use a ridesharing service. If you don’t have a person you can rely on to take you home, the advancement of modern day technology enables you to get a ride home using either Uber or Lyft.
- Eat something while you drink. Consuming food will help slow down the intake of alcohol in your body. Drinking on an empty stomach results in faster absorption of alcohol, causing your BAC to rise at a quicker rate.
- Maintain your car. If you have an expired tag or a one of your taillights out can cause you to get pulled over by law enforcement, especially at night.
- Obey the traffic laws. While it’s important to constantly follow the traffic laws, you must follow it even closer if you’ve had a drink or two. Maintain the appropriate speed limit and use your signals when you turn.
- Stay updated about DUI checkpoints in the area and avoid them. Before you embark on your journey home after a night of drinking, make sure you check your route for any DUI checkpoints and plan accordingly.
- Focus only on driving. While you may be able to change the radio stations or have a phone conversation while you’re sober, don’t do so after you’ve been drinking.
If you have been arrested for a DUI in Rhode Island, contact Attorney Thomasian for a free consultation today.