In Rhode Island, getting pulled over due to being suspected of a DUI can be a frightening and overwhelming process. A DUI can result in an extensive jail sentence, costly fines, a suspended license, and a permanent mark on your criminal record. If you are pulled over by police at night, the officer will be looking for any indications of intoxication or impairment. There is a possibility that law enforcement may not even notice.
So, if you are pulled over or arrested for DUI, here are the following steps to take immediately:
- Be polite and cooperative. Hand over your license, registration and insurance card as instructed. It’s important not to answer any questions which could potentially incriminate you.
- Do not participate in any field sobriety tests (FST). You are not obligated to perform any FST or coordination tests in Rhode Island. Depending on the circumstances, such as the weather conditions and physical limitations can disrupt your performance, resulting in the officer establishing probable cause.
- If ordered, take blood, breath, urine test. Due to the implied consent law, all drivers are subject to BAC testing if law enforcement has probable cause to suspect the motorist is under the influence. If a driver refuses, he/she is subject to a six month license suspension, 10-60 hours community service, and a fine between $200 and $500 as their first offense.
- Write down everything that occurred in precise detail. In order to successfully defend yourself against DUI charges, it’s imperative to write down various details about the night of your arrest. This includes where were you drinking, how many drinks you had, the length of time you waited before driving, who was present when you were drinking, the probable cause of the officer, what you said to the officer, your performance on any FST if you happen to take them, the time you took the breath test, and the time of your arrest. Knowing these details can help your lawyer build a successful defense against your charges.
- Retain an experienced and skilled Rhode Island DUI attorney. Having a successful DUI lawyer can help you regain your driving privileges and provide you possible defenses against your case.
At The Law Office of Thomas C. Thomasian, Attorney Thomasian has an exceptional track record of success and is named one of the Top 100 Criminal Defense Trail Lawyers in the nation and is a member of the National College for DUI Defense. If you have been arrested for a DUI in Rhode Island, contact his firm immediately for a free consultation today.