Can I Be Charged with DUI if I Was Arrested on Private Property?

Were you arrested by Rhode Island police for operating a vehicle under the influence? Were you on private property when you were detained? In this blog, we explain if you can be charged with DUI if you were arrested on private property.

Private Property DUI Laws

In the state of Rhode Island, law enforcement will not care whether you are driving on a public road or private property, if you are operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you can be charged with a DUI. This is because state law does not distinguish between public and private roads when it comes to DUI cases. Rhode Island does not have a “public way” requirement for DUI. Prosecutors in states with “public way” requirements have to prove a DUI suspect was operating the vehicle on a public road, which has a separate definition that does not cover private property.

According to Rhode Island DUI law, “Whoever drives or otherwise operates any vehicle in the state while under the influence of any intoxicating liquor, drugs, toluene, or any controlled substance as defined in chapter 28 of title 21, or any combination of these, shall be guilty.” Under this language, a person can be charged with DUI on both public and private property.

Although you can face DUI charges if you were arrested on private property, a skilled attorney can build a strong legal strategy and raise crucial issues in court to fight the charges against you. This is why it is important to get in touch with a reputable law firm if you have been arrested for DUI.

Consult with Our DUI Attorneys

Do you need legal representation for your DUI case? If so, contact our law firm to find out what we can do to protect your rights. At The Law Office of Thomas C. Thomasian, Esq, we are committed to serving DUI clients throughout Rhode Island, and we are prepared to put our skills and experience to work for you today.

Call us at (401) 312-4385 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to schedule your free consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. Our legal advocates will fight for you.