Holiday weekends like Memorial Day, tend to have increased traffic due to the amount of people traveling around. Families often go to activities like barbecues and social gatherings looking to have a fun and relaxing time. Because many of these functions offer alcoholic beverages, it is important to remember the dangers of driving drunk.
With Memorial Day Weekend coming up, you should expect that local police departments will be establishing DUI checkpoints around town to crack-down on anyone who chooses to drive under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
The following are a few ways you can avoid getting behind the wheel if you plan to drink this Memorial Day Weekend:
- Have a designated driver come out with you who agrees not to drink
- Make sure your cellphone is charged and able to request an Uber to pick you up and drop you off safely
If you think you will be going to multiple destinations, try not to drink too much and don’t get behind the wheel of your vehicle immediately after consuming alcohol. Alcohol affects everybody differently, and a few drinks might just be enough to tip you over the legal BAC limit. Hydrate yourself with a drink of water in between the alcoholic beverages you drink.
In addition to these tips, remember that Memorial Day Weekend also sees an increase in the amount of DUI accidents that occur. Keep an eye out for the signs of intoxicated drivers and do your best to avoid them at all costs.
Common signs of a drunk driver include:
- Swerving or drifting
- Parking way too far from a curb
- Stopping too soon before an intersection
- Sporadic speeding and braking
- Using the wrong turn signal
If you are arrested for a DUI this Memorial Day, you should take the following steps:
- Find credible witnesses who saw your arrest
- Write down all the details you remember from your arrest and the reason police said you were detained
- Make your social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram private
- Consult with an experienced lawyer
Are you facing DUI charges? We can build you a strong legal defense and fight for the justice you deserve. Our team of DUI attorneys has the skills and resources you need to clear your name and restore your reputation.
Contact our team of Rhode Island DUI lawyers to schedule your free consultation today. We are available to serve you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.