Every Halloween, law enforcement set up DUI checkpoints throughout the city in an attempt to catch unsuspecting drunk drivers. Police do this because more people tend to drink and drive on Halloween, which threatens the safety of other drivers and pedestrians. DUI checkpoints also deter drivers from getting behind the wheel if they have had too much to drink, and to instead use a designated driver to get home on Halloween.
Halloween DUI Statistics
The following are DUI statistics for Halloween:
- 44% of fatal accidents that occur over Halloween weekend involve a drunk driver or drunk motorcyclist.
- 38% fatal accidents that occur on Halloween night involve a drunk driver or drunk motorcyclist.
- 23% of fatal pedestrian accidents on Halloween night involve a drunk driver.
- DUI fatalities on Halloween are unfortunately increasing. In 2015, there were 55 DUI–related deaths, nearly 20 more deaths than what was reported in 2011.
- People between the ages of 21 and 34 made up 64% of fatal drunk driving accidents on Halloween night in 2015.
- Halloween is the third most dangerous day of the year for drivers and pedestrians, behind Christmas Eve and New Years.
Penalties for a DUI include:
- Losing your driver’s license
- Increased insurance rates
- Probation or jail time
- Expensive fines
There is also the cost of attorney fees, court fees, bail, towing, and accident repairs to consider as well.
Safe Driving Tips for Halloween
Remember the following safety tips if you will be driving this Halloween:
- Always keep an eye out for pedestrians in the road.
- Drive slowly and anticipate that young children might run in front of your vehicle without warning.
- Never drink and drive. If you do drink on Halloween, call someone to pick you up or designate a sober driver.
- Use your turn signals to let others on the road know your vehicle will be turning. If you pull over to drop off or pick someone up, flash your hazard lights to make your vehicle more visible.
Rhode Island DUI Lawyers
If you are pulled over for a DUI this Halloween, you need to immediately speak to our legal team to learn how to protect your rights. At The Law Office of Thomas C. Thomasian, Esq, we are committed to defending our clients and fighting for the justice they deserve. We are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.